News & Updates

£24k fine for electrical contractor after residents fell into uncovered floor hatch

An Aberdeen electrical company contracted to rewire and install new heating systems in Aberdeenshire Council properties has today been fined for failing to put in place adequate barriers and physical warning signs around open floor hatches in a residential property. As a consequence of this failure the resident of the property and her brother-in-law fell into one of the uncovered floor hatches and both sustained injuries.

Aberdeen Sheriff Court heard that employees of the company were working at a residential property when they failed to put in place suitable and sufficient measures to prevent persons from falling into the uncovered floor hatches.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) concluded that there was nothing in place to prevent either the resident of the property or her brother-in-law from falling through the uncovered floor hatch at the rear of the property. If adequate barriers and physical warning signs had been in place around the uncovered floor hatch then these incidents would have been preventable.

R.B. Wilson (Electrical) Limited, of 1 East Craibstone Street, Aberdeen pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 6(3) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005 and were fined £24,000.