Welcome to Stallard Kane Associates

Housing company and builder prosecuted for safety failings

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found the chimneys were used to flue working gas boilers and fires at the properties in Devon and Cornwall, meaning the gases had no means to escape and could build up inside.

Prosecuted by HSE, Cornwall Housing Ltd, of Higher Tenant Road, Wadebridge, pleaded guilty to a breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £6,660 and ordered to pay £697 in costs.

Its contractor, Barry Shipton, of Down Road, Tavistock, pleaded guilty to a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 was fined a total of £2,664 and ordered to pay £692 in costs.

Bodmin magistrates heard the work was undertaken at a property in Jubilee Terrace, Bodmin, and a property in Coronation Road, Callington.

After the work was completed, Cornwall Housing Ltd’s own gas engineers had inspected the properties and classed the situation at both properties as ‘immediately dangerous’ – which means it was an immediate risk to life.

Added: 15-09-2015
Back

Breaking News

Head Office:
First Floor Offices, 11-23 Market St.
Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
DN21 2BL

Tel: 01427 678660
 

HR and Accounts:
26/26a Hickman Street
Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
DN21 2DZ

Tel: 01427 678660
 

Hull Office:
West 1, West Dock Street
Hull HU3 4HH

Tel: 01482 534 348
 

Manchester Office:
Hyde Park House, Cartwright Street
Newton, Hyde, Cheshire SK14 4EH

Tel: 0161 367 1214
 

Birmingham Office:
2450 Regents Court The Crescent
Birmingham Business Park Solihull B37 7YE

Tel: 0121 69 59 290
 

London Office:
4th Floor, 86-90 Paul Street
London EC2A 4NE

Tel: 0207 111 0958