Manchester (Minshull Street) Crown Court heard that SJW Joinery & Building Ltd and director Simon Wiley had been contracted by the homeowners to carry out building work at the house in Stalybridge. A single storey extension had been erected around parts of the property. The roof of that extension had been built over the existing flue to the boiler, leading to it venting into an enclosed space. The products of combustion of the boiler, including the toxic and odourless gas carbon monoxide, built up in the extension and entered the house. Four people were taken to hospital with CO poisoning. All four made a full recovery.
An investigation was launched by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after National Grid notified it of the incident.
The investigation found that building plans relating to the work showed that risks of carbon monoxide exposure had not been considered during the planning stage. The building work was subsequently carried out without the builders having considered these risks to the residents.
SJW Joinery & Building Ltd pleaded guilty to a breach of Regulation 8(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 has been fined £6,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4298.
Director Simon Wiley pleaded guilty to a breach of Regulation 8 (1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and also Section 37 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He has been sentenced to 200 hours community service and ordered to pay £4298 costs.
First Floor Offices, 11-23 Market St.
Tel: 01427 678660
HR and Accounts:
26/26a Hickman Street
Tel: 01427 678660
West 1, West Dock Street
Hull HU3 4HH
Tel: 01482 534 348
Hyde Park House, Cartwright Street
Newton, Hyde, Cheshire SK14 4EH
Tel: 0161 367 1214
2450 Regents Court The Crescent
Birmingham Business Park Solihull B37 7YE
Tel: 0121 69 59 290
4th Floor, 86-90 Paul Street
London EC2A 4NE
Tel: 0207 111 0958
Copyright © 2017 Stallard Kane Associates. All rights reserved.